Friday, May 11, 2012

Lotus Sew-a-Long Days 3 and 4: Lining

Thanks for following along with the Amy Butler Lotus Tunic Top Sew-a-Long that I'm working on this week with Cara from My Little Lady Designs! Check out our Flickr group for lots of fun photos of our progress, but here's a quick recap of what happened on days 3 and 4 of the sew-a-long...

Day 3: Well, things certainly started to slow down for me mid-week. On Day 3, all I managed to do was install zippers on all 3 garments and then wrangle my muslin linings. Sounds easy, right? Not if you have a certain 11 months old that wants to participate!

"Is this my new blanket, Momma?"

Hey, come back with that muslin!!!

Anyway...here's the muslin lining after I rescued it from my youngest kiddo (and ironed it!):
 Front
Interior
This section of the pattern calls for finishing or serging all the seams, but I boldly chose to skip that step after consulting with my mother. All the seams will be encased in the interior of the garment after it's complete, so I didn't really see an acute need for all that extra reinforcement. Plus, I was running short on time! Actually, the muslin came together really quickly but I only had an hour or two to put into it all.

On Day 4, I attached the lining to my main garment and then completed the sleeves. At this point, it became crystal clear that I would only be able to finish one of the three tops I was constructing by Friday. Oh well! There's always next week. :) Here are some pics...
Front
Back
There was some wonkiness at the outer corners of neckline that required a little extra clipping and stitching, but otherwise I was super pleased with the results! It was my first time understitching anything so I had to google it to figure out exactly what to do. Easy peasy, though! Here's the video I used to figure it out.

Then it was sleeve time! The pattern calls for gathering stitches or basting at 1/2" and 3/8" on the sleeve piece, but next time I'll stitch at 1/4" and 3/8" to avoid having to clip those seams out later. I also made the circumference of my sleeve just a little bit bigger than the pattern called for. The size Large top has a 9 1/2" sleeve, but mine ended up at 11". I was worried it might look too poofy, but I'm happy with the end results. Plenty of room to move my arms around! Isn't it so cute and feminine?
Another first for me...I used Amy Butler's method of attaching bias tape instead of my quick, one step (and maybe incorrect!) method! Here's a tutorial on sewing bias tape on a curve that really has great step-by-step pics: Bias Tape Tutorial. Pretty cool, really! I'm a convert!!

Mother's Day weekend is upon us, so I'll have to post my Day 5 finale and pics after the weekend. So excited to share photos of my finished garment with you! Yes, I actually finished it...ha! So adorable and worth all the work...plus, the fit is just perfect for me. :) Can't wait to wear it on Mother's Day! Thanks so much for visiting my blog and Sew-a-Long!

2 comments:

gingermakes May 13, 2012 at 9:33 AM  

Loving the look of the Lotus Top-- can't wait for the big reveal!

Bridgette May 14, 2012 at 9:48 AM  

Thank you!! Getting ready to post it yet today! :)

There was an error in this gadget